- "Not Another Hollywood Teacher Tale," The Huffington Post (2017)
- "November 9th in the Classroom," The Huffington Post (2016)
- "Why Affluent Parents Should Demand Diverse Schools for Their Children," The Huffington Post (2016)
- "Creative Work: Teaching and Learning," The Huffington Post (2016)
- "A Year in Two Different Worlds," The Huffington Post, NC Policy Watch, Public Schools First NC, & WearRed4Ed (2016)
- “Three Dimensional Mapmaking,” The Peel: Literature and Arts Review, Boone, NC (2013)
+ Solo Exhibitions
- Illusory Permanence: Dissolution, Christopher’s Garden, Asheville, NC (2014)
- Illusory Permanence: the Persistence of Nature, Looking Glass Gallery, Boone, NC (2013)
+ Group Exhibitions
- CAMstellation, CAM Raleigh, Raleigh, NC (2016)
- Nebraska National Juried Art Exhibition, Juror: Bobby Silverman, Eisentrager Howard Gallery, Lincoln, NE (2014)
- College Collective, Juror: Mitch Messina, Firehouse Gallery at Genesee Center for the Arts & Education, Rochester, NY (2014)
- Art Expo 2014, ASU Student Exhibition, Juror: Cora Fisher, Catherine Smith Gallery, Boone, NC (2014)
- Friggatriskaidekaphobia: BFA Fall 2013, Catherine Smith Gallery, Boone, NC (2013)
- Ahead of the Class: An Exhibition of NC Art Education Majors, Meredith College Rotunda, Raleigh, NC (2013)
- An Exploration in Ceramics, Looking Glass Gallery, Boone, NC (2013)
- Art Expo 2013, ASU Student Exhibition, Juror: Nancy Sokolove, Turchin Center for the Arts, Boone, NC (2013)
- Coming Home Collage Competition, Plemmons Student Union Multicultural Center, Boone, NC (2011)
+ Permanent Collections
- Plemmons Student Union Permanent Collections, Boone, NC (2014)
+ Honors, Awards, & Grants
- North Carolina Teaching Fellows Scholarship (2010-14)
- Plemmons Student Union Purchase Award (2014)
- 2nd Place Overall, Art Expo 2014, Smith Gallery, Juried by Cora Fisher (2014)
- Research Grant, Research Institute for Environment, Energy, and Economics, Appalachian State University (2013)
- Research Grant, Office of Student Research, Appalachian State University (2013)
- Randolph A. Johnson Scholarship, Department of Art, Appalachian State University (2013)
- Eva H. Burress Memorial Scholarship, Department of Art, Appalachian State University (2012)
- Junior Marshall, Appalachian State Univeristy (2012)
- Chancellor's List, Appalachian State University (4/7 semesters)
- Dean's List, Appalachian State University (3/7 semesters)
+ Visual Art Teaching Experience
Visual Art Teacher, Leesville Road High School, Raleigh, NC (2015 - Present)
- Developed visual literacy, contextual relevancy, and critical response through direct instruction and structured experimentation.
- Designed choice-based curriculum to challenge students at a variety of skill levels.
- Communicated with the community through Twitter and email campaigns.
- Challenged students to submit their work to community exhibitions.
- Led mobile technology professional development for approximately 30 teachers.
- Served on the Professional Development Committee (2016-2017)
- Served on the Learning Rounds Committee (2015-2016)
- Served as an Academic Coach for at-risk students (2015-2016)
Visual Art Teacher, Cochrane Collegiate Academy, Charlotte, NC (2014 - 2015)
- Taught 5 concurrent courses: 6th, 7th, 8th, Beginning High School, and Intermediate High School Art.
- Served on the iCoach Technology Team as an instructional technology resource for 13 other teachers.
- Utilized blended learning instructional strategies to increase engagement through differentiation.
- Communicated with community through management of school social media pages.
- Cultivated 21st century skills through project-based individual and collaborative learning.
- Collaborated with Sesame HQ to integrate NC Art Essential Standards into the authentic assessment platform.
- Developed a safe and orderly classroom environment within the high-poverty Title One School.
Visual Art Student Teacher, Newland Elementary, Newland, NC (2014)
- Observed and co-taught visual art to grades K-5.
- Differentiated instruction to meet students’ needs.
- Incorporated interdisciplinary topics into the Visual Art Essential Standards.
+ Professional Development
- NCTIES Technology Conference, Raleigh, NC (2015)
- Differentiation Academy, Charlotte, NC (2015)
- Blended Learning Digital Conversion, Charlotte, NC (2015)
- Analysis of Student Work, Charlotte, NC (2014)
- Teaching Fellows Senior Alumni Conference: Classroom Management, Boone, NC (2013)
- Intervention Strategies & Discipline Techniques, Hickory, NC (2013)
- NC Teaching Fellows Orientation to Durham Public School System, NC (2013)
- Appalachian State University Teaching Fellows Observation of Washington D.C. Schools (2012)
- Dinner & Conversations with International Educators, Boone, NC (2012)
- Bully Proofing Your Classroom, Hickory, NC (2012)
- Adolescent Brain Development & Teaching Styles to Meet Their Needs, Hickory, NC (2012)
- IEPs, 504s, & PEPs, Hickory, NC (2012)
- NC Teaching Fellows Discovery Trip, NC (2011)
- Using Technology in the Classroom, Boone, NC (2011)
- Precious Knowledge: Documentary & Discussion, Boone, NC (2011)
- Creating a Successful High School Classroom, Boone, NC (2011)
- Advanced Classroom Management Techniques, Boone, NC (2011)
+ Praxis Certifications
- 0135 Art: Content & Analysis
- 0069 Middle School Mathematics
+ Teaching License
North Carolina Standard Professional I License (SPI) Art (Grades K-12)
Appalachian State University, Boone, NC (May 2014)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Studio Art with concentration in Ceramics & earned with Departmental Honors
- Bachelor of Science in Art Education (K-12)
Thesis: Illusory Permanence: the Persistence of Nature
- Kiln Room Assistant, Ceramics Studio, Appalachian State University Department of Art (2013)
- Study Abroad: Understanding Culture & the Arts in Vienna, Austria (2013)
- Glaze Room Assistant, Ceramics Studio, Appalachian State University Department of Art (2012)
- Appalachian Teaching Fellows Homecoming Chair (2012-13)
- Appalachian Teaching Fellows Recruitment Chair (2011-12)
- Appalachian Teaching Fellows Executive Council (2010-14)
+ Sailing Instruction Experience
Lead Sailing Instructor, Carolina Sailing Foundation, Raleigh-Durham Area, NC (Summer 2014)
- Taught sailing theory and skills to campers aged 9-16 on Optis and 420s
- Facilitated group formation, collaboration, and leadership skills within small groups of campers
Seasonal Sailing Coordinator, Don Lee Center, Arapahoe, NC (Summer 2013)
- Managed 35 instructors practicing instruction, sailing theory, rigging, and boat maintenance
- Developed curriculum for sailing instructors
- Provided feedback on teaching performance of instructors
- Organized general operations of program including daily and weekly scheduling.
- Facilitated risk-management, especially in regards to out-of-camp adventure sailing trips.
- Directed emergency response.
Sailing Instructor, Don Lee Center, Arapahoe, NC (Summers 2008-2012)
- Taught sailing theory and skills to campers age 7-18 on various small vessels including Sunfish, Aquafins, Flying Scots, and Hobie Catamarans
- Performed boat maintenance, rigging, powerboat operation, & on-the-water rescue and assistance
- Led adventure sailing & camping trips of distances up to 100 miles.
- Certified in US Sailing Level 1 Instruction, CPR/AED, Lifeguarding, Waterfront Lifeguarding, First Aid, and Wilderness First Aid